Friday 13 July 2007

Brain Dump

Well... after three weeks of excitingly having the net at home... our modem broke!! But now it's had a stay at the hospital and is back, and working (more or less!)... so I'm very excited to be able to update my blog!! It's been such an awesome couple of weeks knitting-wise, that it was very frustrating not to be able to blog about it!!!

I've finally taken some photos of Mr Purls scarf!

It may not seem like much... grey... garter stitch throughout... but it is definitely the longest (time-wise, but also length-wise!) project I've made, so it felt like quite an acheivement for me to finish it!! This scarf was started in Keith, South Australia when I was working over there... some of it was knit on Lady Musgrave Island on the Great Barrier Reef (where he rewarded me for all the knitting by proposing!!)... lots of it was knit at our Knit n Talk Sh!t nights (to the point where I'm sure all the girls were sick of seeing it!) and now it's finished!! Mr Purl was so keen to wear it that he snatched it up before I even had a chance to weave the loose ends in, so wore it around for a while looking quite shabby (they're tidy now tho). It's quite a treat to have knitted him something that he loves and wears all the time... it makes the boring-ness of the grey wool and never-ending garter stitch worth it!! (there's a lot of love in that scarf! - including a little stockinette love heart at the end - the only bit that was slightly more exciting to knit!!)

K and I had a lovely time at SnB last Thursday. It was great to meet the people behind the wonderful blogs!! I was amazed by the gorgeous projects everyone was making! Very inspirational :)

Then of course, as everyone else has already talked about... Sunday was the Creative Fibres day at the Old Bus Depot Markets. Wow. I couldn't stop smiling. There was just sooo much beautiful yarn... hand dyed, some handspun... some where they knew the name of the sheep it came from!

It was a very sensuous experience... you really just had to touch it all!!! And then there was the un-spun fleece that was so gorgeous I started wishing I knew how to spin!! I was very restrained tho and set myself a $50 limit (which I amazingly managed to stick to!) So now I have some gorgeous new wool - and new projects to come-up with!!

I was also quite restrained in not buying only purple wool... because I figured, I have to use some of this wool to make things for other people, and I can't assume that everyone likes purple as much as I do!!

This one's a lovely angora blend... soooo soft!! I had fun winding these two into balls at S's house the other night... my first time!! It somehow doesn't look like as much wool once it's in a ball. But it's satisfyingly solid!!

I've started catching the bus to work some days instead of riding... to give myself more knitting time! :) Mum's shrug is amost up to the crochet-lace-fringing bit!! I'm loving it, and also very excited about starting my next project. I'm not yet at the stage where I feel confident enough in my completing abilities to have more than one project on the go at a time! (soon though. I am going to need small, manageable bus projects...)

This is my attempt to photograph the cold as I headed to the bus stop (happily only a few steps from my front door!!) this morning.

Brrr... the days are getting longer, but I don't think they're getting warmer. If only we could transport Canberra and all the people and places in it down to the coast!! Hehe... maybe with global warming, the coast will come to us! (Dahahoo wrote an awesome song about this called 'When the Ice Melts'). I'm extremely grateful for my brand new, ridiculously puffy down jacket!! It's like a doona you can wear!!

In non-knitting news... Mr Purl and I have decided to delay our wedding until next Spring (which amusingly will be after the honeymoon!). We figured with the festival and how much I'm going to be away with work, it would be easier not trying to plan a wedding for April! Much better to be relaxed and actually enjoy the planning part as well as the actual day!

I'm hoping to make it to the Knit1Blog1 opening tonight!! So exciting :)

4 comments:

happyspider said...

Hi :)
Welcome to the blogosphere. Of course you can link me without asking first... its just rude to take pics without permission. Linking is fine, and actually most people like being linked. if you're nervous, just drop the blog you've linked to a comment to say you have - and never disclose the owners true name if they dont use it on their blog.
in regards to sock workshop - absolute beginners are welcome :) Some parts will be formal 'teaching' and then there will be opportunities to peruse sock patterns and have some one-on-one assistance. Every person will also receive a little workshop booklet of original sock patterns, advice and yarn suggestions. It wont be a big group and (i hope) it will be fun :) it's on 22nd (Sudnay week) and you need to book through craftACT.
enjoy your blog! and i might see you tonight?

Neet said...

Thanx for the advice Spidey!
And the workshop sounds great! I'll see about booking now.

Michelle said...

I don't think I got to meet you tonight! There were so many people. Will you be at SnB on Sunday though? I'm hoping to get there.

And I think you got the same green yarn that I got at the OBDM! Waratah fibres, right?

You have a lovely blog - thank for dropping by mine to say hello!

Neet said...

Thanx for your kind words about the blog Michelle! I'm really enjoying it so far!! No I didn't meet you at the exhibition. I was keeping an eye out for your new wrap!
Your hats and scarf in the exhibition are gorgeous! Well done!

Yeah, it looks like we bought some pretty similar yarns at the fibre day. Great taste obviously! (yep, the angora was Waratah. I saw the little pink beanie they had knitted out of it, and it was so soft i just had to have some!!)

I wont be there on Sunday... off to the mountains to trudge through the snow. Have fun though!!