Tuesday 2 October 2007

Monogamy is boring!

As much as I'm loving knitting the turtle walk socks... I keep finding myself dreaming about all the projects I want to start! It would be nice to have a couple of other things on the go to be able to mix it up a bit! I've ordered some cotton from Bendigo to start on a present for E's baby... which is due in a month! I'd better get moving :)

It was a lovely weekend (hooray for the long variety!). Saturday saw me up early at a yoga class... I was dubious about having to get up at 7 on a weekend, but it turned out to be a lovely way to start the day... and even lovelier when Mr Purl met me for brekkie at Cornucopia afterwards. We got the last two chicken, almond and mushroom croissants! Woohoo! (they're seriously yummy if you haven't tried one before!). Then we explored Floriade with our favourite 2 3/4 year old (Mr Purl's goddaughter)... taking in the ferris wheel and the petting paddock in particular. Then hanging out with our favourite 8 month old, and a delicious bbq lunch... then dinner at E's house (perhaps the last dinner party before the bub?). It was a lovely, bonding day!
Sunday, I was very excited to go and hang out at Floriade and knit with Aunty Daisy and Margaret -the Indigenous ladies from the Alice Springs Beanie Festival. It was really fun... it was a shame not to see more SnBers there! (there were only the two of us, aswell as one newbie and a couple of ladies from the spinning guild). None the less it was lovely... just sitting around knitting together, without having to say much at all. Some local people came and gave 'Aunty' a traditional 'welcome to country'... and the respect they showed her, and the way they treated her as part of their family was incredibly touching and brought a tear to a few eyes. So we sat and knitted for a fair while... the only weird bit was the huge crowd that kept gathering around to watch... presumably they were watching the indigenous ladies and not us as such... but it did feel a bit like being an animal in a zoo.
Then I popped past the Old Bus Depot Markets to say hi to our mates who have just taken over the Portuguese food place. I was drooling over the gorgeous bits of fabric... sorry, 'fat quarters' (I have no idea what that means!) at the Japanese stall... and thought "stuff it, it's expensive, but I'm going to buy some because they're pretty and I might find something incredibly inspired to do with them down the track!"

Aren't they prerty??

Yay! I kind of made this decision that I don't have to have any particular project in mind to buy the odd little bits of fabric or yarn... I'll find things I can use them on :). Probably not the ideal attitude seeing as my stash is outgrowing the bottom of my wardrobe, and Mr Purl has learnt the expression SABLE (don't think I'm quite at that point yet though). But hey....

Oh, and I'm getting really excited about the prospect of learning to spin! Now all I need is a drop spindle (anyone know where I can buy one in Canberra?) and someone to teach me (anyone want to teach me?)!!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend! Hooray for Floriade and Pick-nits! I'm just sorry I couldn't make it, but I had a birthday lunch to attend at Edgars with the folks.

You have done well with the start of your fabric stash. If Mr Purl has a problem, tell him to come over to my place and see my sewing room with is STUFFED full of fabric I may never use. But at least it's keeping the house well insulated.

Georgie said...

What a lovely weekend. I was really sorry to not make it to the picknit, sounds like a great time.

I covet that japanese fabric every time we go to the OBDM, very lovely choices. Im sure you will find inspiration...or just enjoy looking at them!

BTW, check out yarn magazine online for drop spindles - she is selling 2 kinds.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous fabrics! They would make a lovely drawstring project bag. Or you could just leave them on a table to look at and touch ;-)

Denise said...

I was all set to go to the Picknit at Floriade, but then my elderly father-in-law needed help and stuffed up the rest of our day :/

I think you definitely should have more than one project on the needles at any one time - go on, you know you want to ;)

You can buy drop spindles from this guy in Queensland. I got Dotter's spindle from him, and it's really lovely.

Anonymous said...

Hi Neet,
Peter Filmer, the woodworker at OBDM made me a drop spindle and only charged me $25 for it. You need to specify what weight you want though. There is a great article here: http://www.knitty.com/issuespring06/FEATKSgotspin.html - Jacqui