Monday 23 July 2007

A heel!!

What a wonderful way to spend a Sunday morning! Learning to turn a heel! (ok that's not sarcasm... it was seriously fun... and kind of magic) I still don't think I've got my head around the whole thing... but I did it anyway!! Thanks Ms Spider!!

We got our very own mini-skein of hand dyed wool (!!!) to practise turning a heel. So I left the workshop with my very own pretty purple heel. I'm thinking of hanging it on my wall :)

He he... I know it's been done... but he looked as excited about my new-found sock skills as I was!

Ms Spider was impressively organised (she had another word for it) and had put together a booklet with sock diagrams and explanations as well as patterns! I went straight home and started my green turtle-walk socks!! (and after one false start where I didn't read the pattern properly - sorry Miss - I'm going well!!) It took quite a long time to explain to Mr Purl that no, I'm not going to attach the chunky purple heel to the fine green socks... ah well... at least he's interested!

The K1B1 exhibition was such a lovely setting to have a workshop... surounded by so many inspirational knitted objects! And it was great to have everyone there to help each other out. Big thanx to Bells for helping me get my head around the cast-on and knitting in the round on double pointed needles. Fortunately no-one seemed to think I was too crazy for attempting my first sock, first lace pattern and first knitting on dpns all at the same time!!! So-far I'm having fun. Check back in a few weeks!!

In other news... we successfully cleaned out our complete disaster of a garage on Saturday. It felt like one of those 'your life on your lawn' TV shows. Completely embarrassing to see how much junk we've accumulated! I tried to take a photo of the fallout... both of our camera batteries were too flat. I tried to take one with my phone. It's battery was too flat. I think someone up there is telling me "this really is too embarassing to show anyone. Really. You'll regret it". So... there is no evidence save the large pile of junk sitting at the side of the house waiting to go to the tip. We sealed-up the hole where we thought the possums were getting in... swept out all the possum poo... cheked there were no possums trapped in there, and shut it up for the night. Sunday morning we expectantly opened the garage door.... only to see that once again the whole floor was covered in possum poo. I'd love to know just how many possums are using our garage as their toilet. Surely one (or 2 or 3) possums can't produce that much poo in one night. Worse than the poo is the wee... but I won't go into that. So... time to call the landlords to fix it up. (was too embarassed to up til now lest they see the state of the garage!!)

7 comments:

Bells said...

Hooray for heels. You'll be on your way in no time now!

Georgie said...

No youre not crazy for going for first in the round/dpns/sock/lace all at once - jump right in! What's the worst that can happen? Live on the edge, I say!

Bron said...

oooh, your Mr Purl made me laugh - don't they say funny things when they're being interested in the 'wooly stuff'!!?

Denise said...

Lovely to meet you on Sunday - congrats on the purple heel! I'm totally with you about purple, too.

Anonymous said...

It was a fun time wasn't it! Just to sit and knit and chat and laugh.

Knit1 Blog1 said...

Hey Purple Purl, great to see the beautiful purple heel emerge from Beatlewears workshop. I particularly liked the model pic too.

I just read through a number of posts and I loved your snowy mountains pics but was appalled by the story of your friend being beaten up. I'm a bike rider around town and it just breaks your heart to know that there are thugs out there doing that stuff.

thanks for the workshop update it was great.

Michelle said...

Excellent work on the socks! No wonder you are addicted.