Tuesday 15 January 2008

Thoughts

My beautiful friend H lent me a book last weekend. It's called Laurel's Kitchen, and was written in the seventies. It's all about nutritious, healthy eating and lifestyles, and vegetarianism. Unlike other books on the same subject from the same era that I've read, it's not at all preachy. The main author has a beautiful 'voice', and is very down to earth and honest.
Anyway... this book feels life changing for me, but I think that's mainly because it's come at a time when so many factors have been converging for me. The more I learn about and practise yoga, buddhism, meditation... the more they all resonate with me and agree with and support each other. And I spose I've always felt like ecologically, being vegetarian - or close to it - really makes more sense... but I've always loved meat too much to follow through with it! But now, with all these things coming together I feel like being vegetarian is just part of a whole way of life which makes sense. OK... I'm potentially not making sense... but this is a big thing for me at the moment, so I thought I would try to express it. Thankyou H for sharing the book with me. You're a lot more like Laurel than you think.

Next week I'm going on a yoga retreat at an ashram just north of Sydney. I'm really excited just to have that intense, reflective time (at least that's what I'm hoping it will be!). I'm not really sure what to expect... I've never been on anything like this before. But with all the work for the festival, and my life being very much focussed on supporting someone else's endeavour at the moment, to have this time for me will be a real gift. Apparently as well as getting up early in the morning and doing yoga, and listening to talks and stuff, we do gardening and baking bread and stuff and contributing to the general ashram life. It all sounds pretty good... kind of a pampering for the soul rather than for the body!

3 comments:

Georgie said...

I *love* this book; as a veggo of 12 years or so (in my youf; long since fallen off)it was one of my earliest inspirations. It's great that you're finding a place that's right for you.

On the subject of beautiful inspirational 70s veggo cookbooks - if you havent already, seek out Molly Katzen's books: Moosewood and esp Enchanted Broccoli Forest. Its all hand-written and drawn. Love it. She has a website too http://www.molliekatzen.com/

Taphophile said...

Fantastic that you're going to be able to get some space to yourself for a while and recharge. Hope it goes beautifully.

More power to you with going veg.

Neet said...

Thanks guys!
Yeah, George, I have the Moosewoods New Classics, and have been coveting the enchanted broccoli forest for a while!